Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Present Narratives 48.


                    48.

My mother
knit me a sweater
with big wooden buttons
about 45 years ago.
Finally –too ragged to wear–  I cut the buttons off
and kept them.
I bunched up the sweater
and stuffed it
inside a cardboard box
so some cats could stay warm
in the winter.
I'm amazed
at how carefully they arrange it,
with one sleeve
poking out of the hole
that serves as the entrance
to the box.
I pushed it back in a couple of times;
they always pulled it back out.
Just one sleeve.
Several litters of kittens
Have been born on that sweater.
My mother would have approved.
She liked cats.
The sweater is pretty encrusted & fragrant now.
I'll probably toss it
and replace it with a clean towel or something.
But not yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment